Tuesday, October 10, 2017

UF Book Review: Born in Fire by K.F. Breene



Title: Born in Fire
Author: K.F. Breene
Series: Fire and Ice Trilogy #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Hazy Dawn Press
Pub Date: July 18, 2017
Pages: 448 
My Copy: Trade Paperback from my TBR pile

Book Summary:

Supernatural Bounty Hunter isn’t the sort of thing you see on LinkedIn. But with a rare type of magic like mine, I don’t have many options. If people found out what I could do—what I am—I would kiss my freedom goodbye.

So dangerous or not, the job is mine. And it was going fine, until an old as sin vampire stole my mark, and with it, my pay day.

Knowing I’m poor and desperate, he has offered me a job. I’ll have to work by his side to help solve a top secret case.

Everyone knows not to trust vampires. Especially a hot elder vampire. But without any other jobs coming up, I’m stuck. As I uncover a web of lies and treachery, revealing an enemy I didn’t know existed, the truth of my identity is threatened. I might make it out alive, only to end up in a gilded cage. 

Book Review:

Regan is a character who definitely is someone who is hiding something. I like that she is someone who is just trying to survive and make her way in the world despite hiding what kind of paranormal she is, in this crazy world that we are entering. 

Regan is a bounty hunter and things go really bad for her. She needs the money of course to live and then vampires get involved. We learn that there are things and people/creatures that are disturbing this reality’s balance and need to be placed back into their rightful home or reality. So when portals open up, it can be very bad. There are also magic users in this world who use magic both for good and bad. We also learn that the agency that Regan works for can assign and take bounties away if they are so inclined and that other groups such as Vampires, Werewolves can take them. 
This unfortunately happens to Regan. The contract that was hers gets taken by vampires and she is royally pissed off to say the least. 

She meets Darius. Darius comes across to her as a know it all type of vampire. He is hot, make no mistake about it. He tries to hit on her, and she doesn’t respond. Regan has a secret and isn’t going to let anyone know what kind of supernatural she is because it would mean that someone could use her for nefarious purposes or send her someplace she doesn’t want to be. We find that Darius and Regan clash in a lot of ways. It starts off the partnership or possible relationship in a way that’s good. Neither of them are pushovers or will let the other get the one up on each other. I also like that we get to meet the head werewolf in charge and he’s a complete douchebag.  So you get to see a lot of things happening.

We also learn that there is a magic user who has been corrupting people and wanted a certain book. This book contains very evil magic and magic that can cause a lot of harm. A lot of people get hurt because of this book. This book is very important to find before it gets into the wrong hands. You never know what kind of hell can be unleashed. Nothing ever goes as planned and all sorts of crazy things happen. 

Crazy twists and turns everywhere in this book. You never know who is going to be the bad guy or woman. I like that this book never played it safe. Also the twist at the end was interesting. At times I felt that this twist was somewhat easy to see coming. I thought that this book was very good. I want to see a little bit more romance in the second book in this series. Love the way it ended and open up a lot of possibilities for our main character.

Rating:


Four Hearts

2 comments:

  1. Well, this sounds like my kind of read! Although I haven't read a urban fantasy like this in ages... this might be the one, though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete